Switching to a Safety Razor
There’s no doubt about it, swapping to a safety razor can be daunting, but it honestly takes only a small adjustment and we think you’ll never go back to a disposable razor again.
Reusable safety razors are eco-friendly and sustainable, they give a closer shave, with less irritation and no pain, and have been shown to reduce ingrown hairs and are better for your skin.
Tips for using a safety razor
- Lather the area you wish to shave with your chosen product
- The best angle to use the razor is 30-35 degrees, this ensures that you don’t cut yourself whilst giving you the closest shave
- Use the weight of the razor as your guide, it needs very little pressure, use short strokes, rinsing often
- It is best not to keep the razor in the shower or leave wet as this can cause rust to develop
It can be a good idea to start with the large areas like legs and get used to a new razor before moving onto trickier, more sensitive areas
Changing the blade on a reusable safety razor
- Hold the razor top between thumb and forefinger on the short sides, unscrew the handle
- The top of the razor will open into two halves with a bar in the middle
- Take the new blade from its packaging, being very careful to hold it flat, not near sharp edges
- Put the blade on the razor, line it up with the bar in the middle and place other halve of razor back on top of blade
- Twist the handle back on, make sure it is tight so the blade it squeezed between two halves, so it cannot come loose during your shave